ALPHA DOG HEADPHONES
Now available in Claret and Midnight-Black
Availability: Claret and Black ship within 4 working days of purchase.
Meet Alpha Dog, our flagship headphone and the world’s first 3D printed production headphone. Alpha Dog is the fully-closed headphone that delivers an audiophile “open” headphone experience. With the Alpha Dog, you’ll never have to choose between isolation and audio delight again.
3D Printing: New Sonic Vistas
Until now 3D printing has been a tool for prototypers and hobbyists. Indeed, we started using 3D printing as a prototyping tool. While developing a new product, we discovered we could build sonically superior enclosures that could not be manufactured using conventional injection molded plastics.
After many generations of design, we settled on an enclosure that yielded incredible acoustics. Our unique “double wall with lattice” construction delivers:
- Dramatically expanded soundstage, smoother frequency response and faster and more tuneful bass
- Improved isolation
- Reduced weight (compared to a solid wall of comparable thickness)
In addition to the Super-Cup, the Alpha Dog incorporates numerous design and technology innovations and features:
- Re-engineered baffle increases rigidity to improve resolution and accuracy
- Very-Bass™ tuning system* allows precision bass tuning at the factory, while giving you freedom to dial the bass up, or down, to fit your tastes. Unlike other bass tuning approaches, there are no parts to loose, and it’s possible to restore the headphones to factory tuning*
- A “twist to mount” mechanism attaches the ear pads to the cups. Just put the edge of the pad in the groove and twist the pad until it’s totally on
- Recessed cable jacks enhance the profile and improve comfort
- Sturdy and elegant snap to lock dual-entry cable system
Mad Dog vs. Alpha Dog
We love the Mad Dog for its rich and detailed mids, slightly darker sound and really fun bass presence. The Alpha Dog builds upon this heritage and adds a more open and transparent sound, with faster, more linear bass and a smoother, more nuanced top end with more “air.”
Like the Mad Dog, the Alpha Dog works best with a good portable or desktop amplifier. For casual listening, such as at work or while reading, the Alpha Dog works fine with your iPhone, tablet or computer audio, but it will only achieve moderate volume and soundstage and bass will not be at their best. AN AMPLIFIER IS A MUST FOR SERIOUS LISTENING. Sorry to shout, but we get asked about this a lot.
If you want a headphone that is affordable, fun, e.g. a touch of emphasis on the bass, with a very balanced sound, a neutral/dark signature, and ridiculous comfort at a great price point the Mad Dog is the call. If you are interested in reference-quality closed headphones with state of the art soundstage, detail retrieval, ambience, and linearity it's all about the Alpha Dog. Of course, if you go Mad Dog today, you can always upgrade to a set of Alpha Dogs later.
Continuing our tradition of allowing users in our installed base to upgrade, we are pleased to offer our best upgrade program yet:
- For Mad Dogs with Alpha Pads (any version) the upgrade price is the difference between the current list price of your model and the Alpha Dog. That comes to only $300 for Mad Dog owners, or $200 for Balanced or Universal Mad Dog owners plus shipping
- For Mad Dogs with 840 or Dog Pads the upgrade price is the difference between the current list price of your model and the Alpha Dog plus a pair of Alpha Pads: $360 plus shipping
PricingThe Alpha Dog is $599.99. It includes an XLR cable or a ¼” single ended cable.
We will not take orders for upgrades until product is shipping, at which time we will start an upgrade list so we can maintain minimal turnaround time to avoid any inconvenience to owners.Adaptors for additional balanced connections will be available in late October, starting with adaptors for Ray Samuels, iBasso, and ALO balanced portables.
Pinout For Custom Cables
The Alpha Dog use a dual-entry cable attachment.
The plug is available to cable manufacturers at www.evalucon.com, and the part number is SN-8-4(P). We will have these available for purchase on our site beginning October 9, 2013.
1 = L+
2 = L - (or ground for single ended cables)
3 = L+
4 = L- (or ground for single ended cables)
1 = R+
2 = R - (or ground for single ended cables)
3 = R+
4 = R- (or ground for single ended cables)
Frequency response (+/- 3dB): 16Hz to 18KHz
Weight (without cable): 440g
Cable: Dual entry
*MrSpeakers does not warranty the paint finish around the Very-bass adjustment mechanism, nor do we warranty the headphone tuning if the Very-Bass has been adjusted. Each headphone will include calibration information on the headband to allow users to restore left and right channel settings. Be aware that Very-bass may not be for everyone: if you are not mechanically inclined we do not suggest you modify the headphone settings. Should you adjust the headphones and wish to have MrSpeakers restore them to factory tuning there will be a $29.99 tuning fee, plus shipping.
**Alpha Dog original owners who purchased an Alpha Dog before 12/31/13 receive an automatic warranty extension from one to two years from date of purchase, as well as one free tune-up subject to the following terms:
- Proof of purchase is required
- The extended warranty and tune-up are non-transferable
- The tune-up specifics are:
- MrSpeakers will determine at it’s sole discretion if and when updates are recommended and available for Alpha Dogs and which units the update applies to (e.g. all ordered before 12/31/13, units shipped between specific dates, etc).
- It is entirely possible we will not announce any tune-ups at all (translation: there were no material changes to sound quality so it’d be a waste of everyone’s time). We do not a promise a tune up is forthcoming.
- The tune up offer covers only “soft tuning” and does not include hardware or tuning changes that may be specific to hardware changes.
- If hardware upgrades become available, MrSpeakers at its sole discretion may offer a fee-based hardware upgrade.
- The owner is responsible for shipping both to and from MrSpeakers.
- Should a tune-up become available, we will post a notice on Head-Fi and distribute an announcement through our newsletters. If there is no announcement there is no tune up available.